A research project for a native app,

which helps people learn new vocabulary.

OVERVIEW

HIGH LEVEL TIMELINE

Four weeks

MAKE OF THE TEAM

Lead Researcher

and Designer

KEY GOAL

Research and develop a vocabulary app to assist in strengthening retention.

COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS

In order to understand current vocabulary apps, I conducted a round of competitive analysis, determining the positives and negatives of vocabulary apps on the market.

USER RESEARCH

Following competitive analysis, I wanted to recruit individuals for interviews who have used similar apps.

This led me to interviewing three individuals on how they interact with current vocabulary and language-learning apps.

Common Theme

The common theme I discovered was that all three interviewees wanted to see the words in the context of a sentence in order to memorize them better.

USER PERSONAS + USER FLOWS

Based on information from my interviewees,

the persona of Iris evolved.

Currently Iris's habits are using a French-language app in her very spare time. She really needs to repeat the phrases to remember the vocabulary and sentence structure. What Iris is looking for is a reliable go-to app she can have on-hand as she prepares for this major career shift. She needs a way to remember vocabulary easily and entertainingly. She needs to find time to study during her hectic schedule. Using her goals and pain points, user flows were determined in order to address her needs.

WIREFRAMING + PAPER PROTOTYPING

Given Iris’s criteria, I began the wireframing session

with rapid prototyping to determine key screens to

start developing.

These early loose sketches focused on the onboarding process, login, learning sections, and also favorites. In total there were 30 sketches done in 30 minutes.

 

I conducted a second round of sketching, this time focusing on being more consistent with the top and bottom navigation. The screens I chose to focus on were the onboarding and login process because it is an essential part in getting the user situated. 

USABILITY TESTING

I took my prototypes to three users, and guided them through usability testing for wordal.

While compiling the usability test report, what I discovered when gathering their feedback was the number of errors ranging from minor to major fixes. The most glaring error was no way to add your own flashcards. With this knowledge I began making changes through another prototyping session. I began addressing some of the more pressing changes.

TITLE OF THE CALLOUT BLOCK

WHAT'S NEXT

As for next steps for wordal, I wanted to incorporate a visual component to the words, because that is what Iris and my other users have indicated as important to them in order to retain vocabulary.

Iris has indicated she needs a schedule reminder element to help her become more motivated to study. The plan is to create mid-fidelity wireframes and prototypes before refining and moving onto high-fidelity versions, incorporating the visual design.

Let's chat.

  • White LinkedIn Icon

© 2019 by Vanessa Morrison